- Download the JRE binary file from www.java.com
- Extract the contents of the x64 binary file you have downloaded. In order to do that,
- Run the command,
> chmod +x jre-6u24-linux-x64.bin
The files are extracted to a folder within the same folder where you have downloaded the binary file.
- Move the folder to any desired location.
- Run the following command to create the plugins directory,
> sudo mkdir /opt/google/chrome/plugins_
- Change directory into the plugins folder,
> cd /opt/google/chrome/plugins/
- Create a softlink to the java library file,
> sudo ln -s /opt/jre1.6.0\_24/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so_
- Restart Google Chrome.